Click on image above visit my wildlife gallery!

Saturday 16 October 2010

Isle of Wight - Day 2

A long day today - about 10 straight hours carrying around a tripod and the 500mm. It's days like this that remind me where I got my, er... great physique.

A long day, but also a rather frustrating one. There are indeed red squirrels here, but unfortunately Parkhurst forest, apparently the main site (but also Borthwood, which is another large site I visited today) is completely infested with dog walkers at the Weekend. I have never seen so many dogs in one place. The squirrels like them even less than I do, which means to see squirrels, you first need to get away from the dogs - which easier said than done. Today I saw about 10 squirrels and 100+ dogs.

I give up trying to photograph the reds in England - it's just not enjoyable. One reason I do this stuff is to get out into the sticks and get some peace and quiet. No chance of that here. I think I will try in Scotland next year though. 

Anyway, enough whining. On to some photos.




As you can see, it's been difficult getting a clear shot. This guy did come out briefly though:

And finally, here's another animal I saw at Borthwood, which doesn't like dog walkers:


One last chance tomorrow morning, before catching the ferry back to the mainland.

No comments:

Post a Comment