Click on image above visit my wildlife gallery!

Thursday 16 September 2010

Thursley Common

Drove to Thursley Common tonight after work. This is probably the last time I'll be able to do after-work photography this year, as the nights are really drawing in now, and happily the weather was lovely.

The Common is famous for its reptiles, some of which I photographed earlier this year - http://nickburtonswildlifephotography.blogspot.com/2010/04/thursley-common.html. I did see a couple this evening too, but they were too warm (and therefore too mobile) to photograph, and disappeared before I could get close.

There were plenty of Grasshoppers though :-)


Another far corner composition - I think these work really well. Here's the same guy a little closer:


There seem to be a lot of spiders around this year. Our front garden is full of webs. There were plenty on the common tonight too:

To photograph this little fella I had to lay face up on the boardwalk and dangle my head off the edge, shooting directly upwards. I got a funny look from a passing jogger - thing is though, I think he will find it is his pastime which is inexplicable, not mine :-)

I really need to do more macro - I haven't done anything like enough this summer. Too busy with the feathered friends I guess. Speaking of which, this Woodpecker landed nearby just as I was clambering back onto the boardwalk:


This weekend I'm hoping to find time to visit Bushey Park to photograph the Deer rut. That will be an early start!

1 comment:

  1. I love the grasshopper - I think that composition works really well. It's like looking at the world from the insect's perspective.

    ReplyDelete