Click on image above visit my wildlife gallery!

Friday 3 September 2010

Red Squirrels at Brownsea Island

Earlier this year, before I started writing this blog, I visited Poole in Dorset, and made three trips to Brownsea Island, which is located in harbor there. This island is known for being one of the few places left in England (particularly in southern England) where Red Squirrels can be found.

This was my first proper photography trip since buying my 500mm f4 a couple of months previous, and I was pleased to be able to get to see the Reds and photograph them with the new lens - some people visit the island without seeing any at all!


These were taken in mid-March, so they still had the tufty ears of their winter coat.


Although I did manage about two dozen sightings over three days, in 2011 I plan to try the other southern Red Squirrel stronghold - the Isle of Wight. From what I've heard, it's easier to see them there.

There's plenty of other animals on Brownsea Island though, including Sika Deer, all the birds you'd expect from an island in Poole Harbour, and cheeky pheasants:


This weekend I will be away whale spotting in the bay of Biscay - hopefully I'll have some shots to post when I get back on Tuesday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment