Click on image above visit my wildlife gallery!

Wednesday 21 April 2010

Stodmarsh

Driving to Stodmarsh reserve in Kent last weekend, I thought I might be in with a chance of seeing a Marsh Harrier. As it happens, there are plenty, and if you stand still in any given spot for more than about 20 minutes, you're bound to see some. Somebody there mentioned that there are at least 4 breeding pairs. I overheard another person, who I think was heading back to her coach, stating that Marsh Harriers are "now commonplace". She sounded positively disappointed with the place - I hope her trip wasn't entirely wasted.

This shot of a marsh frog was taken from the marsh hide, which is towards the center of the reserve. The guy next to swore blind the branch in the back ground (top right) was a snake. Can't see it myself!


A friendly guy with a big lens directed me to a small bridge in a wooded area, where tree creepers could be seen nesting in a hollow stump. We set up there and sure enough within a few minutes they appeared.

What a fantastic reserve, having spent Saturday and Sunday there I think I only saw a small fraction of it - I'm need to arrange some more trips, there's nothing like it I've seen south of London.

No comments:

Post a Comment